Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Good Morning,
Such a beautiful day today. I went riding my bike this morning. For those that don't know, I have a little Suzuki Boulevard s40. It is small but economical and such a joy to ride. I enjoy the feeling of the breeze in my face specially when it is nice and cool as it was here in Dallas today. I feel more alive when I ride the bike than when I drive my car so needless to say I have been driving it everyday now. My car is gathering dust I think I need to sell it but it does come in handy like when I have to go to the office which is seldom.
Anyway last night I participated on Facebook on an interesting conversation about people who make up things on their resume. In this particular instance it was someone who has industry recognition but even though they don't have the credentials they claim to be a professor at a top school. You can follow the thread here. This sent my mind just reeling and have been thinking about it since. Russell Klosk mentioned "why lie? In a day and age where thanks to HiTech and Gen Y degrees aren't the only entry point to a profession any longer as well as the fact that absolutely everything can be verified with little effort time or money? It's a shame at times that their isn't an actual "black list" as people like this need to be on it". I couldn't agree more. Especially as they freely post the conflicting information on public profiles.
As a Sourcer, my role is to find people for hard to fill roles, in my role I read a lot of resumes and it never ceases to amaze me when I see that a person posted a resume years ago and their updated resume omits quite a few things that their original one once had and on occasion I see the conflicting degree information. You would figure that if they were going to make something up they would keep it consistent on each resume. It just seems worse when they totally make up stuff like saying they teach at a top school since that is easily verifiable. You can go to the school directory where all professors are listed for example. My thought is that the lie keeps getting bigger as they realize it the deception worked once and they start making things up irrationally testing people to see how far they let them go.

No comments: