Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Is Spaghetti Recruiting Gone?

Shally left a brief comment to the last blog entry that said...

“My experience has taught me that if they
aren't responding I just need to change my message.”

That is the point I was leading to, thanks Shally for helping me clarify. I believe it was Albert Einstein that said that the definition of crazy was doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results each time. How many unanswered emails will it take for me to change my approach? How many times do we have to place a job ad only to receive loads of ridiculously irrelevant resumes only because it worked in the past?

The more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that we need to return to the basics. I was involved in a discussion today about the need for recruiters learn to read into the job descriptions. There is still a lot of what we used to call spaghetti recruiting out there. For those of you not old enough to have heard that expression spaghetti recruiting is the methodology of throw enough resumes at a hiring manager thinking one of them simply has got to stick!

The bottom line is that there are many different sources like employee referral programs, aggressively thorough Internet searching, internal and external candidate databases, cold calling, employment marketing and good old networking, they are all components of a solid sourcing approach. Not one of those components alone is the answer no matter how good we are. We have to be willing to continuously adapt.

1 comment:

Jobmatchbox said...

What a great analogy. In sticking with food analogies for a minute, here is another course. I read a story not long ago, it was about a restaurant had a great recipe that literally put it on the map. The owner decides to move on, and the new owner seeks to make more profit by using more water and less of an expensive key ingredient. Not long after this the loyal customer base dries up.

I think the same could be said about staffing organizations who over promise and under deliver. Sometimes this is because they can't find the right candidate, sometimes because they can't take the job order, sometimes because they don't comprehend the industry. Staffing organizations need to think about more than metrics, and this is where many go wrong. This is where Job boards go wrong too! Just having numbers isn't enough.

If an organization is relying on "Spaghetti Recruiting", and many are, then they need to check their resume before they let one more customer get away.